Monday, January 4, 2010

A-TOWN!

So here I am in the airport of Spokane waiting for my flight to Portland, from where I'll be catching a connecting flight to Atlanta. My travel bag containing a couple of sweaters, old jeans, and a pair of workboots is probably already being boarded and my backpack with a pillow and a water bottle is keeping me company as I listen to the Moxy's sing 'Hello Hello' for the 20th time.

I can't say I'm not nervous about this trip. Heading down south (or anywhere for that matter) to do flood relief work is a first for me, as is going somewhere on my own. Well...I went to Idaho on my own, and the trip to Greece I went solo as well, but I knew people that would be there as well. This time I don't. Still, I'm probably more excited than I am nervous. It's going to be awesome to be able to make something good happen.

I'll be in A-town for ten days, helping people that lost their homes and belongings to the floods -- they've estimated that over 5,000 families have lost everything they had. I'm not sure what exactly I'll be doing, since the organization I'm going with does a lot, including rebuilding houses, after school care for kids who have no home to go to, and set up animal shelters.

Now, of course, I had to start off my with some airport stupidity, which included not emptying my water bottle before going through security, and leaving my laptop in my bag while going through security (yes...I had to go through security THREE times). Damn security issues..

Well, my ride just arrived, so I'm gonna head out. I'll keep you guys updated!

A-TOWN! YEAHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment